10 February 2012

Can you pass the US Citizenship Test?

Honestly. If you weren't born here, would you, could you, be a citizen? Sure, if you studied the given questions like pending citizens are, but what about those of us who went to public school and learned (or was supposed to learn) this stuff in class?

This blog post has nothing to do with politics - really! This post has to do with schooling.


I'm not political. I hate politics. I stick my fingers in my ears and say, "nah, nah,nah" anytime anyone starts talking politics. Government and history were my hated classes. I failed video class at a tech center because I would not give political opinions on a 'skit' we were doing. Have I mentioned I hate politics?

I homeschool my son. We recently started government (blech). In chapter two of his college course textbook (2004), it gave a sample citizenship test. Get 18 of 30 correct, and you would pass. He gave me the test. Whew! Thankfully I was naturalized when I was 15! ...Just kidding. I passed with flying colors. *doing the happy dance* I may hate politics, but I know my shit....errr government! ;-)

However, I did some research. And it's quite depressing.

About 92 percent of the people who take the citizenship test pass on their first try, according to immigration service data. Well, good...but then again, they are given the questions up front & told to study. :-\

There are 100 questions on the new citizenship's oral exam. All applicants are given all 100 questions, as well as the answers, in advance, and they are encouraged to study. When they sit down for the test, they are asked 10 at random; they have to get six of them right to pass. Question....could you? Sure if I was given the questions to study beforehand, but what about just knowledge from school. Could ya? Honestly?

The test was given to Oklahoma High school students. They didn't fare as well. Only about 3 percent of the students surveyed would have passed the citizenship test.  They were not given time to study. They should know this stuff! They live here. They just 'learned' it in school...didn't they? Yet, 97% didn't. That's sad. Only 1 in 4 of the students knew who the first president of the US was. Really?

In another bit, Newsweek gave 1,000 Americans the test. 38% failed. 38% of Americans couldn't pass the citizenship test! Appalling!

In their article, it states:
29% couldn’t name the vice president.
73% couldn't correctly say why we fought the Cold War.
44%  were unable to define the Bill of Rights.
6% couldn’t even circle Independence Day on a calendar.

Wow. Just wow.  I had my last civics class in 9th grade. That was.......1985, and I retained most of that knowledge. Huh. Of course, I was also taught it. Are these kids?

My son was able to answer every single question in his book, and he elaborated on most of them. :-) And his civics teacher was giving him bad grades? What? Ugh. Anyway....this is why I homeschool.

Interested in knowing if you could pass? Here are some of the questions given.  How many do you actually know? Have fun. ;-)




  •  How many stars are there in our flag?
  •  What do the stars on the flag mean?
  •  How many stripes are there in the flag?
  •  What do the stripes on the flag mean?
  •  What is the date of Independence Day?
  •  Independence from whom?
  •  What country did we fight during the Revolutionary War?
  •  Who was the first President of the United States?
  •  Who is the Vice-President of the United States today?
  •  What is the Constitution?
  •  What do we call a change to the Constitution?
  •  What are the three branches of our government?
  •  Who makes the laws in the United States?
  •  Who elects Congress?
  •   How many senators are there in Congress?
  •   For how long do we elect each senator?
  •   What is the supreme law of the United States?
  •   What is the Bill of Rights?
  •   Who becomes President of the United States if the President and the Vice-President should die?
  •   Can you name the 13 original states?
  •   Who said, "Give me liberty or give me death."?
  •   What are the 49th and 50th states of the Union?
  •   How many terms can a President serve?
  •   Who selects the Supreme Court justices?
  •   What holiday was celebrated for the first time by American colonists?
  •   Who was the main writer of the Declaration of Independence?
  •   Who wrote the Star-Spangled Banner?
  •   What is the minimum voting age in the United States?
  •   Who signs bills into law?
  •   Who was President during the Civil War?
  •   What did the Emancipation Proclamation do?
  •   What is the name of the ship that brought the Pilgrims to America?
  •   What were the 13 original states of the U.S. called?
  •   Who has the power to declare war?
  •   Which President freed the slaves?
  •   What is the supreme law of the land?
  •   Where does Congress meet?
  •   What is the introduction to the Constitution called?
  •   What is the United States Capitol?
  •   Which President was the first Commander in Chief of the U.S. military?
  •   In what month do we vote for President?
  •   How many times may a Senator be re-elected?


  • Interested in more? Here is the official USCIS website with the study materials given to immigrants before taking their test: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.749cabd81f5ffc8fba713d10526e0aa0/?vgnextoid=982a309186e89210VgnVCM10000025e6a00aRCRD&vgnextchannel=c242df6bdd42a210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD


    House-Wise
    "Make yourself at home"

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    (c) Housewise 2010-2015 Template by Ipietoon